Available until: 24th Nov 2019
St Stephen’s Twickenham is a well-established and vibrant Anglican church with amazing opportunities to see the gospel impacting every sphere of society through the lives of our large and varied congregation and through our multiple ministries.
Our vision is to see God’s Kingdom impacting and transforming every sphere of society. To serve this vision we aspire to be a loving community of God’s people, engaging with every age and stage of life. Seeking to apply God’s Word and live by the Spirit, our current vision priorities are:
1. A commitment to growing as disciples in every sphere of our lives and at every stage of our lives
2. An effectiveness in evangelism, particularly with children and young people
3. A generosity in resourcing other churches
We seek humbly to work out this vision ‘not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty’ (Zechariah 4 v 6).
We are looking for a passionate and energetic ‘can do’ person to work with our Children’s Pastor to see children grow in their relationship with Jesus. Reporting to and working with the Children’s pastor, the main purpose of the role is support and develop ministry to children (0-11 years) at St Stephen’s and in the wider parish and with their parents as they navigate and nurture their child’s growing faith.
You will be joining a large, active church with approximately 600 people regularly attending with 90 children attending kids church during term time. You will be part of an incredibly welcoming and supportive staff team of 22 (including clergy).
We are especially keen to increase our reach and impact on local children that don’t come to St Stephen’s and grow the numbers of children engaging with our Sunday and mid-week Kid’s work.
• To support in the development of Kids church programmes and welcome all children attending St Stephen’s and support their discipleship and faith development occurring in the everyday.
o Weekly session preparation
o Support ChurchSuite administration for children in Kids church
o Encourage a sense of belonging in Kids church o Support our mid-week parent & toddler groups
o Support the children’s pastor in team training o Helping plan and deliver seasonal events (Christmas, Easter, Summer Sundays)
• Plan and support a new kid’s group
• Be part of the school’s work team delivering weekly assemblies in local primary schools
• Promote the children’s work at St Stephen’s internally and externally
• Be committed to the staff team and to its ethos and overall team work • Undertake any reasonable duties that further the overall objectives of St Stephen’s
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Essential Skills and Characteristics
• Commitment to the vision and aims and vision of St Stephen’s
• Strong and intimate relationship with Jesus, with life and lifestyle obedient to him*
• An excellent communicator with adults and children
• At least one years’ experience with children and families within the church and the community.
• Self-motivated and effective personal disciplines
• Diligent at forward planning
• Excellent organisational skills
• Works well under pressure and meets deadlines
• Confident to lead, humble to learn and serve as part of a team.
• Mission hearted
• Sensitive to the variety of pastoral situations in family life
• Enhanced DBS check required
• Right to work in the UK
• A relevant qualification e.g. in children’s ministry, teaching or schools work
• Experience and awareness of children’s additional needs & willingness for special needs ministry
• Experience in a broader children’s ministry setting e.g. New Wine, Focus
*NB. There is a Genuine Occupational Requirement (GoR) for the successful applicant to be a Christian and this GoR applies under the Equality Act 2010.
Working Requirements & Remuneration
• 5 day week including Sundays
• 5 weeks (25 days) annual leave including up to 5 Sundays
• Occasional evenings and weekends as required (time off given in lieu)
• Will be or become an active member of St Stephen’s Church
• The role holder must be available to work at a selection of key events at St Stephen’s including Christmas services, Easter services, Annual Parochial Church Meeting and a joint staff/PCC day
• Available to work at Focus (the church holiday in the summer, one week duration)
• Attend Tuesday morning staff meeting
• £22-24K salary range (depending on experience)
• 8% pension contribution based on gross salary to Church of England Pension Board of which 6.5% is paid by employer and 1.5% by employee
• 0.5% of gross salary life insurance paid by employer to Church of England Pension Board
• There is a 3-month probationary period
Closing date: Sunday 24th November
To apply, please submit your completed application and supporting statement to:
Julie Haworth, Operations and Finance Manager, at email@example.com.
You can download the application form and the cover letter from here.
Swindon, South West
Annually | Full-time
Cambridge, East of England